Security and Road Closure Information for George Washington Parkway Classic
Following the tragic attack at the Boston Marathon, the City of Alexandria is working with the organizers of the George Washington Parkway Classic road race to ensure the safety of all participants and spectators.
In addition to an increased police presence (including uniformed officers and non-uniformed personnel) during the Sunday, April 21 event, the City will restrict parking in and around the finish line area, and seal trash cans prior to the race.
There will be no parking on North Union Street between King Street and Oronoco Street between 4 a.m. and noon on April 21. Parking restriction signs will be posted in the days prior to the race, and vehicles parked in these areas on April 21 will be moved to a non-restricted area.
At noon on Saturday, April 20, the Alexandria Police Department will be closing Pendleton Street (between Fairfax and Union Streets) and N. Union Street (between Oronoco and Pendleton Streets) until approximately noon on Sunday, April 21.
On the day of the event, the Alexandria Police Department will close the following roads:
• The George Washington Parkway (Washington Street) southbound from Franklin Street to the City line, beginning at 6:30 a.m. Residents in affected areas will be accommodated. For the last mile of the race, the course will be lined with uniformed public safety officers, including City public safety officers, Virginia State Police, and officers from other area jurisdictions in honor of injured APD officer Peter Laboy. They will also have public safety vehicles nearby. This is separate from other planned race security and medical providers, but will add to the large public safety presence in Alexandria for this race.
• Franklin Street between South Washington and South Union Streets, South Union to King Street, North Union to Oronoco Street, and parts of North Fairfax and Oronoco Streets.
• Cross traffic will be allowed during breaks in the race; motorists should be patient and expect delays.
• The bike path at Oronoco Bay Park will close on Saturday, April 20 at noon. Bikers will be detoured to Fairfax Street.
• Additionally, the Department of Transportation & Environmental Services will cover and seal City-owned trash cans before the event. Race day trash and recycling receptacles will be available for participants and spectators.
For further details, please call the City of Alexandria Police Public Information Office at 703.746.6600, or contact Tony Castrilli, Director of Communication and Public Information, at 703.746.3958 or email@example.com