Alexandria Police Offer Holiday Safety Tips
The holidays are a time when thieves are frequently on the prowl. Here are some safety tips to help keep your home, your car, your possessions and your family safe during the holiday season.
Before you leave home: • Women should carry their purses close to their body at all times. Men should have their wallet in a front pocket.
• Take only one or two credit cards and avoid carrying large amounts of cash to minimize your loss if robbed.
• Use caution when posting status updates on social media websites that you won’t be home during the holidays or that you are going to be away from the house shopping.
Staying Safe While Shopping: • Park in a well lit area as close to the entrance as possible. Lock your car and take your keys with you.
• Place purchases in the trunk of your car so they are out of sight.
• Always remain aware of your surroundings and visually scan the parking lot for suspicious activities or persons.
• Never leave your purse or purchases unattended.
• Avoid dark and/or isolated areas. If unavoidable, ask security to escort you to your vehicle.
• Have your keys in hand so that you are not searching for them once you reach your car.
• As you approach, check around, under and inside your car, to make sure no one is hiding.
• Enter your car and immediately lock the doors behind you.
Keeping Your Home Safe: • Avoid displaying gifts where they can be seen from a window or doorway.
• Arrange to have packages delivered to a neighbor if you are not home and avoid leaving packages on your doorsteps or porches.
• Dispose of packaging discreetly. Criminals observe discarded product packaging of enticing items and then target you or your home for their next burglary or theft.
• Always lock your doors and windows, even if you are only gone for a few minutes.
Always remember the Police Department is here to serve and protect you. If at any time you observe suspicious activity, please call 703.838.4444 to report the incident.